(Secure Download - NO Adware or Spyware!)
- What's Free - Play game for 100 minutes.
- File Size - 7 MB
- Play It On - Win XP/Vista/7
- Support - Dig Dug Support
DFG Exclusive Review Summary
A very good game, far above average & recommended.
- Simple and easy to play.
- Varying difficulty levels so you can adjust to your level of play.
- Classic mode and Enhanced mode with updated graphics.
- Not much variation level to level.
- Repetitive sounds can get annoying.
Play Dig Dug, the Arcade Classic!
Dig Dug is looking to pop those weird underground creatures without getting fried! Snare your enemies with your trusty pump and inflate them until they pop! Use your digging skills to dislodge rocks and squish them for big points!
Not a Remake
This is the exact version of the arcade game and not a remake. Choose Classic Mode for a trip down nostalgia lane or the Enhanced mode with better graphics. Play through all 256 dirt-digging levels and test your skills with all new stats!
Rules and Scoring:
- Destroy all the enemies on the screen in order to proceed to the next round.
- You get 10 points for every section of dirt you clear on a level
- Get an extra life after reaching 20,000 points, 60,000 points, and every 60,000 points afterward!
- Easy: Designed for beginners, plus you start with an extra 2 lives!
- Normal: Tuned for PC casual play.
- Original: Just like the arcade version.
- Play Classic Arcade mode, featuring all the original arcade graphics you know and love,
- New Enhanced Mode with updated graphics and sounds!
- Pressing an arrow key or moving the mouse will move DIG DUG in the corresponding direction.
- Throw the harpoon by pressing the Spacebar or clicking the Mouse Button.
- When the harpoon has hit a Pooka or Fygar, use the pump to inflate it by repeatedly pressing the Spacebar or clicking the Mouse Button.
- To pull the harpoon out from the monster, move DIG DUG in any direction.
Hints & Tips:
- Watch out for Fygars (the green monster). They breathe fire that can get DIG DUG from a distance and through dirt. Fygars can only breathe fire horizontally.
- Enemies are worth more points if you blow them up at lower depths.
- A vegetable appears if you drop two rocks during each round. The more rounds you clear, the more points the vegetables are worth.
- You can use your pump through small walls of dirt
DIG DUG Facts
- DIG DUG's actual name is Taizo Hori, which is a pun on the Japanese phrase Horitai Zo , meaning, "I want to dig!" I bet you didn't know that.
- DIG DUG's son, Susumu Hori is also a famous video game star known as "Mr. Driller".
- The world record high score in classic DIG DUG is 4,595,010 points. I bet you can't beat that.
Dig Dug Review
Review by Mick
In Dig Dug you must dig tunnels to lure in enemies. Once you have successfully maneuvered the enemies in, you have to finish them off with your air pump. That's right, in this game your weapon of choice is an air pump. This game will have you digging tunnels to avoid enemies that include fire breathing dragons and Pooka. Dig Dug is entertainment for the whole family.
Pop Em or Drop a Rock on Em - Your Choice
In this game your objective is simple, kill all the monsters in the level. Completing this task gets harder and harder as you move farther into the game. Each level adds more monsters that move much faster. There are two types of monster: Pooka a round monster with big yellow goggles and Fygar the fire breathing dragon.
Defeating monsters is accomplished in one of two ways: you can inflate them until they burst with you air pump or you drop rocks on them. There are a limited number of rocks on each level and they must be carefully timed to hit an opponent. Points are scored for killing monsters and for digging tunnels. The deeper you are on the screen the more points you are awarded, you also will receive more points for killing a monster with a rock.
Easy to Learn and Control
Controls for this game are really easy. The arrow keys control movement and the space bar operates your air pump. Each level starts with Dig Dug in the center and an increasing number of monsters in various pre-dug tunnels. The monsters will stay in these tunnels for a short time, but eventually they will turn into ghostly eyes and will float through the dirt towards you. This can be used to your advantage since you can lure them into tunnels that you have set up so that you can kill them. The last monster on each level will attempt to flee by making its way to the surface and running off screen. Losing this monster doesn't lose the mission but you also don't receive the points for that monster.
The graphics in this game vary. There are two modes available: Classic mode and Enhanced mode. Classic mode uses the graphics as they were when the game was created. These graphics are more grainy, but preserve the original nature of the game. Enhanced mode is slightly more crisp and the colors are brighter. Neither set of graphics is even close to modern standards, but they aren't supposed to be. The sound is also the same as the original game. Every time you move you make a sound. When you have to move all over the level over and over again that sound can get very very annoying. While the sound can be turned off, it would be nice if it wasn't so repetitive.
Don't Expect a Lot of Variety
The biggest limiting factor to this game is the lack of variety. Each level is almost identical. The number of monsters changes and the speed they move increases. Other than that nothing about the game varies. This is typical of older arcade games so if you are familiar with this fact it shouldn't be a problem.
Conclusion - A Faithful Reproduction of the Classic Arcade Game
Dig Dug is a classic and is still entertaining today. You will have to dig tunnels and plan your moves carefully. The easy controls and premise means that anyone can play and have a blast doing it. You will also be challenged as you progress farther into the game. If you're a fan of older games or like games that require a bit of strategy, Dig Dug is for you.
- Life for Dig Dug began on April 19, 1982. The year of 2012 marked its 30th anniversary.
- Dig Dug was developed by the well-known and famous Japanese company of Namco.
- Other Dig Dug games include Dig Dug II, Dig Dug: Digging Strike, and Dig Dug Deeper.
- Namco has developed a lot of bestselling games and franchises over the course of its long life. Some of the company's most well-known series include Tekken, Soulcalibur, Klonoa, Splatterhouse, Pole Position, Ridge Racer, and especially Pac-Man.
- Dig Dug was originally developed as an arcade game, but it has been ported to consoles like the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Commodore 64, GameBoy, NES, GameCube, Xbox, Playstation 2, Wii, Nintendo DS, and Xbox 360. It can also be found on mobile platforms that run on iOS and Windows Mobile. This particular version is available for modern-day PCs.
- Dig Dug is considered to be the sixth most popular coin-operated video game of all time.
- This game holds the 22nd spot on GameSpy's 'Top 50 Arcade Games of All Time' list.
- The titular protagonist of Dig Dug made a cameo appearance in Disney's 2012 film, Wreck-It Ralph.
About Download Free Games
Recommended by PC World Magazine (August 2004), The Miami Herald Online (Sept. 25, 2004), and Downhome Magazine (2005 - Favorite Games Site), Download Free Games has provided its users quality downloadable games since 2002.
Game players from around the world play tens of thousands of DFG’s free games every day. DFG is constantly expanding, striving to bring its audience the most entertaining game downloads found on the Internet.
Download Free Games is a small business owned and operated by iWin Inc.