Mount a Defense Force and Protect Your Planet from the Aliens!
Avg. Rating: ( Player Ratings - Avg. Rating out of 5) Rate Edit
An Unknown Threat
A shadow has fallen over Earth. UFO sightings have grown increasingly more commonplace. Furthermore, reports have also come in indicating that they’ve begun attacking major population centers.
No longer content to just sit back, the nations of the world decide that they must work together in combating the alien menace. They form the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, or X-Com, and task it to intercept and destroy every spaceship that comes to Earth.
A Strategic Nightmare
As the one in charge of the global paramilitary organization, you’re going to have your hands full trying to fight an enemy you don’t really understand. It’s going to take a lot of hard work to make X-Com a successful defense force.
- Set your bases up anywhere you like in the world and add any number of facilities to them. Build laboratories, hangars, missile defense systems, alien containment centers and more.
- Purchase and make use of hundreds of different items.
- Command, train and equip a ragtag team of soldiers, each with their own unique names and statistics.
- Receive funds from the 16 founding nations of X-COM. Work competently at stopping the aliens to earn their favor and get more money.
- Reverse engineer alien technology to develop new technologies of your own.
Mounting a Defense
Spaceships will be appearing all over the world. When they do, it will be your prerogative to decide how you’re going to properly deal with them.
- Send in aircraft to either monitor alien vessels or shoot them out of the sky.
- Send in ground troops to investigate vessels that have landed.
- Fight the aliens on the ground with a highly tactical turn-based combat system.
- Salvage alien technology from destroyed or stolen spaceships and use it for your own purposes.
- Battle against a dozen different alien species, each with their own strengths, weaknesses and battle tactics.
- Fight intelligently; your performance is being graded. Improve your score by collecting alien artifacts, killing or capturing alien combatants, rescuing civilians and more.
A Classic Game with a New Face
X-Com: UFO Defense, otherwise known as UFO: Enemy Unknown, is a critically-acclaimed and beloved strategy game that was released all the way back in 1994. Many agree that its strategic depth has allowed it to age well. Meanwhile, others believe it can be improved. Open X-Com seeks to do just that in a huge variety of ways.
- Includes countless bug fixes to the original game.
- Play the game on modern computers easily without the need to run any emulators.
- Features completely open source code. Make all sorts of new changes and additions to the game or go online to get mods that other people have developed.
A Strategically-Sound Title
Regardless of whether you’re a veteran or newcomer to X-Com, Open X-Com is a must-have game for strategy enthusiasts of all stripes. With its strategic depth, brooding atmosphere, and cool science fiction story, getting it is a battle plan that can’t go wrong!
Average Rating: ( Ratings)
Click Screenshot to Enlarge
About Download Free Games
Recommended by PC World Magazine (August 2004), The Miami Herald Online (Sept. 25, 2004), and Downhome Magazine (2005 – Favorite Games Site), Download Free Games has provided its users quality downloadable games since 2002.
Game players from around the world play tens of thousands of DFG’s free games every day. DFG is constantly expanding, striving to bring its audience the most entertaining game downloads found on the Internet.
Download Free Games is a small business owned and operated by iWin Inc.