We're sorry but we are no longer able to offer a download for this game.
The Shooter that Started it All
If the gaming industry is short on one thing, it most certainly is not multiplayer first-person shooters. These days, you can’t fire a gun without hitting at least one. Its popularity is in large part thanks to the work of a little title called Counter-Strike.
Beginning as a humble mod for Half-Life, this gem has expanded over the years to become one of the largest and most popular FPSs ever. Few other games in the genre can boast the number of maps, weapons, mods and players that this one has amassed over the course of its lifetime. Wield all sorts of lethal weapons, from shotguns to sniper rifles to machine guns, and start racking up a body count as you set out to blow up buildings and rescue hostages.
The only question that remains is this: whose side will you fall on? The terrorists who don’t care how much destruction must be wrought to make a buck, or the counter-terrorists whose best negotiating tools are a collection of loaded rifles?
Getting it to Work
Counter-Strike is an old game and old games sometimes have issues on modern systems, especially Windows 7 and 8. Before you get started, you might need to tweak a few things to get it to run on your computer correctly. If the game doesn’t work for you after installation, consider doing the following steps to run it in compatibility mode.
- After you install the game, right-click the icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box that says: “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”
- Upon doing the above, the drop-down menu can now be operated. Open it up and select “Windows 98 / Windows Me.” This will run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98.
- Press the OK button. Congratulations, you can now get started with Counter-Strike!
It should be noted that Windows 98 is not the only mode it will work on, just the safest and most surefire. If you want, you can try to play Counter-Strike by running it in compatibility mode for the following operating systems:
- Windows 95
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 andService Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1
Explosive First-Person Shooter Action
Counter-Strike was hardly the first multiplayer FPS, but it’s the one that set the benchmark for quality. Players are divided into two teams: Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists. In keeping with that theme, it features a number of unique game modes where both teams have asymmetric winning conditions that you won’t find in many other FPS on the market.
- Pick a side. Both the Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist teams have their own distinct weapons and skins that are exclusive to their side.
- Play Assassination mode. If you’re a Counter-Terrorist, escort a VIP across the map and protect him from the Terrorist players that have him in their sights.
- Play Hostage Rescue mode. Counter-Terrorists must infiltrate a base run by Terrorists and rescue as many hostages as they can in the allotted time. Meanwhile, the Terrorists need to vigilantly watch over their charges and eliminate any would-be heroes.
- Play Bomb Defusal mode. Terrorists must destroy the building by planting C4 at every marked location. Meanwhile, the Counter-Terrorists have to either prevent the bombs from getting planted or defuse them should they fail to do so.
- Battle it out on 25 official maps that take place inside places like an oilrig, a 747, some Aztec ruins, the streets of Havana, and more.
Acquire an Awesome Arsenal
You have your different game modes, you have your friends and enemies, and now all you need are a few means of blowing fools up and away. Fortunately, the number of firearms in Counter-Strike should not disappoint.
You may not start out with anything too impressive at the beginning of the match, but you’ll acquire money as you play. Spend this cash to get even more impressive guns and use your superior firepower to turn your enemies into Swiss cheese!
- Collect funds by winning games, killing enemy players, rescuing hostages, assassinating VIPs, and more.
- Purchase new equipment at the beginning of each round. Think fast! You only have a few seconds to do so.
- Increase the amount of punishment you can take by buying a suit of Kevlar body armor and a helmet.
- Pick up over 40 authentic weapons. Blow your enemies to smithereens using a variety of pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, rifles, sniper rifles, and machine guns.
- Different factions get access to different equipment from their respective shops. Terrorists can unload with C4 explosives, the Ingram MAC-10, and the AK-47. Meanwhile, Counter-Terrorists have the Tactical Shield, the Bullpup and the Schmidt machine pistol at their disposal.
An Active Community
Counter-Strike may be over ten years old, but don’t let that deter you away from it; it’s still one of the most widely-played shooters on the market today. The community is just as active now as it was during release. Not only that, but it’s constantly introducing new content to Counter-Strike that helps keep it fresh.
- Jump into any game already in progress or start one of your own.
- Set up your own server with your own rules. Decide what game you want to play, what map it will take place on, how many players may enter, how much money is distributed, what mods will be permitted, and so on.
- Download thousands of user-made mods, including new maps, weapons, scripts and game modes to increase Counter-Strike’s already impressive longevity.
Counter this Strike!
Counter-Strike is one of the most important games in the industry, as well as one of the very best. It popularized many of the conventions we associate with multiplayer FPSs today, yet still has its own unique spins that you won’t find anywhere else. Get Counter-Strike; few other titles will offer as much bang for your buck.
- The earliest version of Counter-Strike was released to the public on June 18, 1999.
- Counter-Strike was originally made and released for free by an independent group of modders led by Minh Le and Jesse Cliffe. Most of the team was eventually hired by Valve Corporation, which has had control over Counter-Strike ever since.
- Other games bearing the Counter-Strike name include Condition Zero, Source and Global Offensive. Additionally, the series also has a few titles tailored for the Asian market: Counter-Strike Online and Counter-Strike Neo.
- Valve is known for releasing some of the most renowned game series in recent years, like Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, and Left 4 Dead.
- Counter-Strike is playable on both Windows and Linux systems. It also appeared on the Xbox.
- Despite its age, Counter-Strike v1.6 has regularly been one of the top ten most played games on Steam since 2003.
- It is estimated that there are over two hundred-thousand Counter-Strike servers worldwide.
- By 2011, the Counter-Strike series had sold over 27 million units.
- In total, Diablo II is estimated to have sold over 11 million copies worldwide.
- The Diablo II Battle Chest, which included the original game, its expansion pack, and a strategy guide, was the 19th best selling game of 2008.
- The 2001 Interactive Achievement Awards named Diablo II as both 'Game of the Year' and 'Computer Role Playing Game of the Year.'
About Download Free Games
Recommended by PC World Magazine (August 2004), The Miami Herald Online (Sept. 25, 2004), and Downhome Magazine (2005 - Favorite Games Site), Download Free Games has provided its users quality downloadable games since 2002.
Game players from around the world play tens of thousands of DFG’s free games every day. DFG is constantly expanding, striving to bring its audience the most entertaining game downloads found on the Internet.
Download Free Games is a small business owned and operated by iWin Inc.