Escape from the Sky Temple Using a Variety of All New Abilities!
Temple Run 2
Avg. Rating: ( Player Ratings - Avg. Rating out of 5) Rate & Review
DFG Exclusive Review Summary
- Absolutely addictive gameplay
- Phenomenal graphics
- More complex gameplay than the original
- Characters now have unique abilities
- Controls made for mobile devices
- Gameplay is complicated by the wide array of interactive objects in the environment
- Game lacks plot
› Read Full Temple Run 2 Review
Run for Your Life All Over Again!
If there was anything the original Temple Run should have taught is, it was that it’s not a good idea to muck around in ancient ruins. You just might wake up some angry demonic monkeys! Unfortunately, some people just don’t learn.
Watch the Annoying Orange narrate Temple Run 2 - funny or just really annoying?
Experience the thrill of running with your tail between your legs all over again in Temple Run 2. Flee for your life from a bigger and meaner simian guardian in a brand new temple wrought with all sorts of dangers. Run at adrenaline-pumping speeds that are otherwise impossible for the human body to accomplish, leap over bottomless chasms, and deftly avoid deadly traps as you attempt to widen the gap between you and the monster that is hot on your heels. Unlock a variety of power-ups to aid your escape and see how long you can last in this new and improved sequel to the surprise hit of 2011.
Love endless runner games like Temple Run but want something a little faster? Try Subway Surfers, one of the hottest games in the app stores!
Run, Run as Fast as You Can
If you’ve played the original Temple Run, the sequel should look both familiar and new to you all at the same time. The graphics have been tweaked to deliver a far more visually-pleasing experience, while the running action is just as frenetic and responsive as ever before!
- Escape from a new colorful temple displayed with more detailed graphics.
- Watch the scenery change over time. Run through the jungle wilderness, brave raging rapids, race across bridges that are built above the clouds, and more!
- Play as four distinct-looking characters: Guy Dangerous, Scarlett Fox, Karma Lee and Barry Bones.
- Swipe your finger upward on the screen to leap over pits and obstacles.
- Swipe your finger downward to duck and slide under overhanging ceilings and traps.
- Swipe your finger left or right on the screen to make a sharp turn.
- Tilt your device to steer along the path, narrowly avoiding dangers and collecting goodies in the process.
- Keep moving! The Temple Guardian is right behind you and he will not stop until you breathe your last breath.
Escape in All New Ways
Despite the name, running isn’t the only thing you do in Temple Run 2. The game features all new mechanics that add more spice to your escape from this veritable temple of doom!
- Zip across ropes to get past wide gaps that are too great to jump over. Swing from side to side to grab coins and all of the other good stuff.
- Ride in a mine cart! Tilt your device to steer your cart and keep it on the track. Be sure to duck back into it to avoid hitting your head on those pesky low-hanging beams.
Running might be all fine and dandy, but even the most durable people can get winded eventually, assuming they don’t crash into a wall first. That’s why you should turn to the many power-ups that are littering the world of Temple Run 2 for help. Power-ups can be purchased or found and knowing when and where to use them is the key to getting out of the ruins with your life intact.
- Collect coins and gems during your flight. Use them to buy new powers and upgrades from the in-game store.
- Complete all sorts of challenges and objectives to earn even greater coin payouts. Run for a thousand meters straight without collecting any coins, grab a record number of rare gems in one life, and more.
- Different characters begin their chase with different power-ups. Use the one that has the most strategic ability for your play style.
- Use the Magnet to draw coins to you automatically.
- Expend the Boost to get a quick burst of speed that ignores all obstacles while active. Let that big ape eat your dust!
- Grab a Shield to get some extra protection for when you hit a trap or hazard.
The Ultimate Runner’s High
When it comes to endless running, Temple Run 2 leaves the competition far behind. It improves upon the original by providing a prettier adventure, adds all sorts of new challenges to overcome, revamps the power-ups, and adds more variety through the cart-riding sections. All the while, it keeps everything that made the first Temple Run such a hit in the first place; high speed action that tests your reflexes and constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Temple Run 2 is a must-have for fans of the original game as well as for newcomers who are in the market for a speedier experience on their mobile device of choice.
Guides, Strategies, and Hints
See how this player gets a high score of 200,000,000 points
Advanced Techniques - learn techniques from an expert player to really boost your scores
Temple Run 2 Review
The original Temple Run set the standard for what a free game app should be, and its overall downloads total in the millions. That's a tough act to follow, but Imangi Studios has attempted such a feat with Temple Run 2. Does this sequel manage to top the original? Absolutely! Read on to find out why!
Complex and Addictive Gameplay
The gameplay in Temple Run 2 seems simple enough. Run, run, run! However, a wide variety of obstacles complicate this simplistic gameplay, making the game much more exciting and challenging. Blazing fire, low-hanging branches or wood beams, gaping chasms, sweeping waterfalls, sudden drops and thrilling zip-lines must be navigated with speed and precision.
In addition to running, players control minecarts in certain sections of the game. Instead of swiping the touchscreen, the minecarts are controlled by tilting the actual device right or left. Some sections of the track are missing as well, requiring players to lean heavily and balance on the one remaining track. It's thrilling!
Once the mines have been traversed, it's back to running once again. This varied gameplay gives the game a steady sense of progression while staving off monotony. The longer you run, the faster the game moves. At its fastest, Temple Run 2 is a lightning fast test of reflexes as you lean, swipe and tap to keep the runner alive. Who knew running could be so much fun?
The graphics have received a massive overhaul in this game. Everything looks crystal clear and stunning, with vibrant colors and great detailing. Fire, water, wood and stone look realistic, and the beautiful sky is perpetually on the brink of sunset. It is truly lovely to behold.
The tracks are actually quite narrow, but it feels like this game takes place in a wide open area. This sense of space really adds to the enjoyment of the game. It never feels cramped or claustrophobic. Amazingly, all this extra graphical load doesn't slow the game down a bit. Temple Run 2 is always snappy and responsive, which is essential for a speedy game of reflexes. Very nice!
Characters Feature Unique Running Styles
In the original Temple Run, unlockable characters were for looks only. Not so in Temple Run 2. Each character has their own unique running speed and style, and this makes collecting the characters a more worthwhile experience. This is a huge improvement over the first game.
Loads of Upgrades
There are rows of coins all over the track, and collecting them enables players to buy characters and abilities in the shop.
Upgrading abilities increases the power and usefulness of various character powerups available during gameplay.
- Shield - Offers significant protection for a limited period of time. Protects against all obstacles, but is no match against Mega Monkey or falling off cliffs.
- Coin Bonus - Instant coins.
- Boost - Gives runners a burst of speed. Players are temporarily protected from danger while the power is activated.
- Score Bonus - 500 point bonus once meter is filled.
- Coin Magnet - Draws coins to the player automatically.
- Gem Bonus - Grants players two gems automatically.
In addition to coins, the occasional gem will be found on the track. The gems are more rare and valuable than the coins, and they may be spent on the following items:
- Save Me - Instant lifesaver. Price increases depending on how many are purchased at a time.
- Powerup Upgrades - Powerups are made available by completing certain objectives in the game. Once they are usable, these powerups may be upgraded with gems. The upgrades are temporary in nature, and they only last for one round. This keeps the difficulty level up, and it also entices players to purchase additional gems.
Objectives and Leveling Up
The game offers players the opportunity to earn special achievements during gameplay. These objectives vary in type and difficulty, but all give players significant rewards for their trouble. This expands the scope of the game considerably and increases overall replay value.
As players work their way through the objectives list, XP is earned. Filling the XP bar all the way equals a level up, and leveling up unlocks new abilities or rewards. The level system gives players something to work for as they play the game.
Easily Share Scores
One of the most enjoyable things about gaming is beating the high scores of your friends. Temple Run 2 makes it easy to flaunt your high score with easy to use sharing options built right into the app.
Overwhelming at Times
There is so much jumping, dodging, turning, sliding and ducking in Temple Run 2 that it can get overwhelming, especially at higher speeds. Having greater variation in the environment is a refreshing change for the most part, but there are moments when it just feels like too much. Those who loved the mindless running gameplay of the original might be disappointed in the sequel, because this new game always requires some sort of thought. Fortunately, Temple Run 2 is more exciting than its predecessor, more than compensating for any added complexity.
No New Plot
Temple Run 2 has the same plot as the original game, which is basically no plot at all. You've dared to steal a mystical idol, and your only chance for survival is to outrun the guardian of the artifact.
This time around, runners are chased by a single monkey rather than an entire horde. This is not a downgrade, because this monkey is about 100 times scarier than all the original demon monkeys put together. Having the grotesquely muscled primate running right behind your character is good incentive to never bump into anything again, especially since the monkey takes up a large portion of the screen.
Being an endless running game, this title doesn't really need much of a plot. Most players will be too busy running from the creepy monkey to notice the fact that the game doesn't have an in-depth storyline.
This is the kind of game that appeals to players of all ages and persuasions. Running from danger is something people are hardwired to do, and this game taps into that instinct quite successfully. The game is exciting, challenging, fast and fun. Temple Run 2 scores an 8.5. It's a must play for anyone with a capable device.
- Review by Alice Flynn
Alice Flynn is a gaming enthusiast and journalist from Los Angeles, CA. She is currently obsessed with obscure foreign dramas, making tofu taste edible and the latest, greatest computer games.
Average Rating: ( Ratings)
Click Screenshot to Enlarge
About Download Free Games
Recommended by PC World Magazine (August 2004), The Miami Herald Online (Sept. 25, 2004), and Downhome Magazine (2005 – Favorite Games Site), Download Free Games has provided its users quality downloadable games since 2002.
Game players from around the world play tens of thousands of DFG’s free games every day. DFG is constantly expanding, striving to bring its audience the most entertaining game downloads found on the Internet.
Download Free Games is a small business owned and operated by iWin Inc.